|Home/Baile||Representatives/Ionaduithe||Bobby Sands MP/Roibeard Ó Seachnasaigh||Policies/Polasuithe||Media Centre|
Feely Calls for Fire Safety
Published: 1 October, 2014
John Feely, Sinn Féin Councilor for Erne North, has called on students moving away to university to make sure that their new accommodation has working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
Cllr Feely said, "As students are returning to Uni, or heading off for the first time, I'd ask that before hitting the books or the local night spots that they insure that they have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their residences.
With around 500 deaths per year in Ireland and Britain from fires in the home it is vital to have an early warning system.
You are twice as likely to die in a house fire that has no smoke alarm than one that has a working smoke alarm. As regards to carbon monoxide, this is a poisonous gas with no smell or taste, that can make you feel unwell and can be fatal.
In Ireland and Britain there are approximately 50 accidental deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning per year.
A CO alarm is only a back up and the regular servicing and checking of all fossil fuel and wood burners, by a registered engineer, is the best way to lower the risks of CO poisoning.
Make sure this has been done by your landlord. Some symptoms of CO poisoning to look out for are headaches, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, stomach pains, chest pains, collapse and loss of consciousness. If in doubt leave the house and seek medical attention."
Copyright 2017 Sinn Féin. Contact